Welcome to the Minnedosa Museum and Heritage Village. We are a pioneer village featuring 9 restored heritage buildings which are furnished with period artifacts from days gone by, water wheel, trout pond and windmill. Our operating season begins July 1st and runs until Labour Day from 1:00 pm - 7:00 pm daily, however, the village is available for tours by appointment year round.
During the off season, contact 867-2027 or email@example.com for information.
Admission is $5.00 per adult and $10.00 for a family. The Minnedosa Museum and Heritage Village is located 4 blocks east of Main Street on 3rd Avenue N.E.
Become a "Friend of the Museum" - click here for information.
The Havelock School takes visitors back to days of multi-grade classrooms - a one room school house, complete with desks, books, maps, etc. A large wood stove heated the schoolhouse at the time. Many Christmas concerts and recitals took place in the schoolhouse - it was the hub of a rural community district.
Located by Heritage Village. Stocked in the spring with 8 inch fish. Catch and Release until August 15th - after that you can keep one or two. Same regulations apply as for lake fishing: licensing, etc. Great for children - they don’t need a license.
Electrical power was introduced to Minnedosa in various ways and at different times between 1902 and 1913. Finally in 1912 the building of a dam was completed across the Little Saskatchewan River Valley with a spillway 16 feet long at the east end. Soon after, a lake became a reality. A flume was constructed to carry water from the lake to the power house below the dam and on June 2, 1912 (another source says June 2, 1913), the Hydro plant started operation.
During the Christmas holidays in 1935, the two room school at Crocus Hill burned down. As a result of the fire, this building was erected, and used as a temporary school house from January to June 1936. In November of 1936 the building was purchased by Mr. Roy Munro and was moved from the Crocus Hill site to Roy’s farm to be used as a blacksmith shop.
Originally built in 1880 by Edmund Manley south of Newdale, this old log house was preserved over the years by being covered with shiplap and insul brick siding. The Museum Committee was interested in saving it and planned to tear it down piece by piece, numbering the logs and re-assembling it at the Heritage Village in Minnedosa.
The Heritage Foundation Committee made up of Bob Mummery, Ken Harris and several others had a water wheel installed at the north end of the Fish Pond in August of 2001. Gallus Oherholzer of Erickson, MB, professionally built the wheel. The wheel is made out of tamarack wood, and was installed by John Skoglund Construction of Minnedosa, MB.
As the Heritage Village became a reality, the members of the Lake Rehabilitation Committee felt they would like to see a windmill set up in the village. Doug Longstaff made the committee aware of a windmill in the Oak River district on a farm, and it might be available. Ken Harris and Doug received permission from the owner, Mrs. Audrery Coulson to have the windmill moved to Minnedosa as a donation from the Coulson family.